Saturday, May 29, 2010

OH, MY


A sense of humor is useful at any stage of life but of particular value as one grows older. Of course I realize laughter comes more or less easily depending on your particular role in life's little happenstances.


Recently my mother was at a family function.

To digress, my mother likes to use the word "function" to describe any gathering of people. "The neighbors next-door had a function celebrating the anniversary of Little Tommy's birth."

"Oh, a birthday party."

"Uh, yes, you could say that."

Anyway, at this particular function, my mother encountered a distant relative, someone she hadn't seen for decades, and the gentleman hazarded this observation: "Oh, Sally, how you have changed!" My mother was miffed no little bit but held her tongue.

Later, she did not; still smarting, she mentioned the remark to her first cousin. "Well," he said suavely, "you used to be so pretty." Ouch-a-mungo! In football, this would be called "piling on" I believe, and when we're compiling our phrase dictionary it will certainly make an excellent citation for adding insult to injury.

The WOWMOBILE, fluid levels checked and topped yesterday afternoon, is resting comfortably in the garage for the long weekend. Happy Memorial Day to all. I have to go up and shave and shower, and then I will pick my mother up and take her to a family func...picnic, Picnic, PICNIC!


No comments:

Post a Comment