Thursday, June 10, 2010

IN A PERFECT WORLD


The June calendar throws a few curves at us as a 1-3 Monday is followed by 2-4 Tuesday, Wednesday, etc., and as much as I'd like to say that that's old hat for me, I'm always confused. As confused as I am, I've never taken the wrong route, but in my early days I certainly missed stops because I didn't know where I was going, and of course I've left my fair share of books behind on the loading dock.

So, what great things have happened this week? Fortunately, no one has ever passed out or died on the WOWMOBILE; which is not such a big deal, you say, but in the same vein while I've never missed a meal, I still give thanks for each one I do enjoy.

At Bookmobile-Outreach Services, we are blessed with a visionary department head who had the idea that in addition to offering traditional services we should also offer programming a la a brick and mortar library. We have just completed a fabulously successful season of "Book Talks," each of which was far better than the initial one that was done by yours truly.
"Book Talks" will be on hiatus until the Fall; however, we will close the season with a musical program featuring the Library's own Dewey Decibelles singing selections from the songbook of Rodgers and Hammerstein.

Our library has a number of women with beautiful singing voices; why we don't have a full-time choral group is beyond me. I also strongly believe that, in addition to its regular complement of staff, any proper library should have, if not a corps of, at least a butler or two to assist the patrons. I may be out of step with others in the field here, but I can't deny my feelings.




No comments:

Post a Comment